Sunday, October 25, 2009

Augusta Cross Race

The Augusta cross race was today. It was the 3rd race on 8 for the Georgia series. Greg and Ethan joined my on the 3 hour trip. I told myself after last week to start at the front and stay there as long as possible. I did just that, allowing myself to stay in the top 3 all day. We actually had 6 hanging on the first couple of laps but it finally dwindled down to 3 with 4th about 10 seconds back. There was a climb every lap that people ran, I found the sweet spot and rode it every lap. I would make a few seconds up there each time but was stupid and didn't lay the hammer down at the top, trying to conserve for the remainder of each lap. Because of the strength of the two with me it probably would have been wasted energy trying to attack after each climb. But I should of tried, lesson learned. That's the beauty of cross I guess, you only have 45 minutes and if you make small mistakes they can come back and haunt you. I wasn't to happy with the person who placed 2nd. He didn't do any work. He has won the opening two races so maybe he thought he didn't have to. Oh well, he still beat me.....maybe next time. All in all I felt extremely confident and strong throughout the race. I have a break next week since the race was cancelled. That will give me two weeks to prepare for the state champs in Savannah. Motor pacing is on the agenda at least twice.

Ethan and Greg both had strong showings during the C race. Greg's bike seemed to not want to cooperate initially with two punctures during warm-up. At least they were not during the race. Ethan placed 7th overall and Greg was 14th. That was Greg's first race back since winning the overall GSC series. I was stoked for him. I was extremely happy to see Ethan have such a strong race after not getting to ride much the last 3 weeks.

Here are a few photos from today.

Blackbird coffee was on the agenda coming back into Milledgeville on the way home. If it wasn't for having such an awesome job I would definitely move back. Stephanie and I both graduated from GC&SU located there.


My Honda Accord loaded down.


The podium. 3rd place overall today.

2 comments:

ETSX Rider said...

awesome job dude don't worry you'll get them next time. BTW I placed 4th in a MTB race out here this weekend couldn't believe it definitely getting in some hill climbing training out here it is awesome!

Stefanie said...

Woo hoo I finally figured out how to comment on your blog.

I love the Bike Store representation on the Podium. But what I love more is the fact that even on the shortest podium, you are still as tall as the other two guys!