Sunday, June 8, 2008

Well, I survived yesterday's early start at 5:15am. I left from my parents house so that way once I did the big loop I could stop at my vehicle for any last minute changes before the last 4 miles or so. I left their neighborhood and the temps were nice. I settled into an 8 minute pace and just put it on cruise control. The route has one hill and that was the only place my HR went up. My legs felt suprisingly good after some good rides this week on the bike. The only time my legs started to ache was around mile 10, just b/c my legs were not used to the pounding on asphalt that long. But I got through that little spell and finished the last 2 miles.


Once I got back I cooled down and went inside and took a cold shower and then enjoyed a nice Cytomax Recovery drink. As for recovery, I have tried the Hammer Nutrition Recoverite and it worked great but the taste wasn't the greatest for me. Cytomax always seems to upset my stomach a little bit. Now, Hammer has got a new flavor out for Recoverite, Strawberry. I am hoping to get some later this week to give a try. Out of all companies I think Hammer Nutrition as a whole is the best, for me.


The gear that I used worked good. The Nathan bottle worked great. I filled it with Perpetuem from Hammer Nutrition and followed Hammers orders, sipping every 15-20 minutes and then using the two 8oz bottles I carried on my fuel belt to sip plain water from a seperate source. The only time I used my hammer flask full of espresso gel was at the vehicle before the last 4 miles.

The shorts I have been using are from Pearl Izumi, the infinty short. The first couple of runs I used them I was not impressed, mainly b/c of the waist area but now since I have been using them more I am really beginning to like them.

As for today, my legs are bit sore and stiff from the pounding but I seemed to recover well. I am going to do some walking and light stretching throughout the day.

On the bike side, my new cyclocross frameset for the upcoming season has arrived. The Trek XO-2.
I do know that it will have Sram Rival components and avid brakes but everything else is up in the air. More details to come.

This week my family and I are going to St. Simons. We will be leaving late Wednesday night and we will come back home on Sunday. So as for training it will be the bike on Tuesday and Wednesday and then running on Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday. I am going to put in some good runs while we are there. Thats the plan anyway.

No comments: