Thursday, January 22, 2009


Well, I think I am ready for Southern Cross this weekend. I am not considering it a race for me but a long fast training ride. I will be surprised no matter what happens. I don't have a ton of miles underneath me currently because of all the running I had been doing to gear up for the half. Cardio is great, its just getting the legs to turnover those teeth on the cog and chainring over and over until the finish. This will be longest mountain bike ride since sometime last year in the fall or late summer. I am very excited. Hopefully I will not finish last.

My new ride is built and ready to go for the event. The Gary Fisher Rig. It's a single speed twenty niner. I went out for a ride earlier with Chad and Ethan and really enjoyed it. I know it stupid to ride a new bike for an event but it should be fun.

I made a few changes to the bike from stock. I added a Thomson stem and seatpost, a Ritchey WCS flat handlebar, Ergon grips, a Bontrager Inform saddle (146mm), Crank Bros. egg beaters, and the Avid Juicy 5 brakes. I currently have the stock Bontrager XDX tires on the wheels but I might switch them out for the Bontrager Mud X, my personal favorite.

The weather at Mulberry Gap, where Southern Cross will start and finish is calling for a 30% chance of rain in the morning so the Mud X tires sound the best.

Namrita is picking her favorites for the event, Mark Hekman for the men, and Cary Lowery for the women.

Tonight makes the third time this week when I have rode at night after the family goes to bed. I can't wait to see daylight while pedaling.

No comments: