Wednesday, December 12, 2007

3 Hour Dauset Ride







Chris, Rick, and I met at Dauset on Sunday and rode for 3 hours. The weather was unbelievable for this time of year. I had a few objectives during this ride that were pre-thought and then some other things just popped into my head while riding awesome singletrack in great weather. This ride just reassured me of how much I love this sport of mountain biking. It seems like whenever I get burnt out on something I always seem to come back to it and once again mountain biking accepts me.

Objective 1: Test out the Ergon BD2
Objective 2: Test out the Shimano M182 shoes
Objective 3: Get 3 hours of base riding in, no hard efforts

The Ergon BD2 pack when above and beyond my expectations. For some reason every product from Ergon does that. I love the fact that it doesn't come with a hydration bladder. (some folks don't seem to like that based on price point) I like it because it allows you use any hydration system on the market. I found that it seems to have infinite space for items. (tubes, vests, food, tools, etc.) Once I filled it with everything I would need for the ride it seemed to be really heavy but once I put it on my back and started riding I forgot all about it, amazing! When I had my head pointing down the trail during descents it didn't hit my helmet. B/c of the adjustments that it has you can lower or raise the pack based on your back lenght so it will fit a wide range of people. Probably one of the best things about this pack though would have to be the breath ability. Air flow between your back is not a problem.
I will not be using it during XC style racing but if I venture into some endurance events or for my long training rides even on the rode it will be on my back. For reviews will come as I use it more.

Objective 2 was to try out the Shimano M182 shoes. I have wearing SIDI dominators since the summer of 2004. Simply put, I love the shoes. They have a totally different last than SIDI. I had no problems transitioning over to them. Right out of the box they fit perfect, no complaints.

Objective 3 was easy to meet. Get 3 hours of base riding in with no hard efforts. Objective accomplished.

No comments: